Friday, February 19, 2010

True and Rational


2.19.2010

Acts 26:25 25 But Paul said, “I am not out of my mind, most excellent Festus, but I am speaking true and rational words. ESV

I don’t think Festus had heard a true or rational word in his life – he was a Roman, a pagan, and a government bureaucrat; even Rome in its day had politi-speak.

The issue for many people is they’ve never heard true or rational words. They’ve heard the news, they’ve heard the culture; they’ve heard the musings of modern man, but they’ve never heard the truth. In fact they cannot. Truth and reason are strange and terrifying things because they don’t understand – so someone needs to tell them. But even then there must be the power of the Holy Spirit to break through the veil wrapped around their heart. Agrippa’s heart and conscience were touched; Festus’ wasn’t.

For me, this is a call to prayer that men and women around me – that I know, live among, work with, and intercede for – may have their hearts opened to hear and receive true and rational words from me or someone else, that they may be saved. Our modern world is growing increasingly untruthful and irrational and I must pray and encourage the fellow believers I know to do the same.

Father in Heaven,
You can open ears and enable people to hear truth and reason for the first time in their lives. I pray that You use me to pray for the ones I know and I pray for their ears to hear and their eyes to see that they may embrace You and be saved – in Jesus’ Name I pray, amen.

No comments: