Monday, February 22, 2010

What Next Lord


2.22.2010

Ps 27:4 4 One thing have I asked of the Lord, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to inquire in his temple. ESV

It’s just one thing – not a whole list; not a bucket list, not a wish list – just one thing. One thing I will seek – not fame, fortune, or riches – just one thing.

In Luke 2, there is mentioned an Anna, daughter of Phanuel, who after the death of her husband in the seventh year of their marriage spent her days and nights worshiping in the temple with fasting and praying; she got the spirit of this Psalm. Her life boiled down to one thing she asked of God and sought Him for – dwelling with Him all the days of her life.

Today is a solemn reminder to me of what is to be on my list. Yes, I am to care for my family; yes, I am to go to work to help support us; yes I’m to serve in my church – but I am to seek the Lord for one thing only as I do: to dwell in His presence each day, gazing with the eyes of my soul upon Him in worship and inquiring of Him, “what next, Lord; what next?”

It’s not fantasy-land; it’s the acknowledgment of my weakness and His strength; it is the confession of my lack and His supply; of my simple-ness and His wisdom.

Father in Heaven,
You are always with me and never leave me or forsake me and because of that, one thing I ask of You, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in Your presence all day today, and all the rest of the days of my life; to gaze upon Your beauty and to inquire in Your presence, “What next Lord, what next?” I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: