Thursday, June 25, 2009

Retain the Standard


6/25/2009

2 Timothy 1:13 13 Retain the standard of sound words which you have heard from me, in the faith and love which are in Christ Jesus.
New American Standard Bible

What if an inch meant whatever you wanted it to be? What if you were no longer accountable to other drivers and could drive on any side of the road you chose, in any direction and they, the same? What if the words of the Scripture meant to some one thing in certain situations, and something else in others? Oh, I see, we already have that!

I’m told Jonathan Edwards, the great American theologian, spent upwards of 11 hours a day studying the Scriptures. His preaching and the impact of his words to this day bear that out. He retained to the standard of sound words. I’m not sure what Timothy did, but I assume he did the same.

My calling is not to preach whatever I think the Bible says, but to preach what it says. My calling is not to twist the words of Scripture to mean whatever I want them to mean, but to retain the standard of sound words and the sound teaching of God eternal message to mankind; whoever it is in mankind the Lord leads me to and commands me to speak.

Father in Heaven,
Your word is truly immutable. That doesn’t mean that men don’t try to twist Your words to suit their own tastes, but You said what You meant, and meant what You said. Help me Father to retain the standard of sound words and to share with like-hearted men who will do the same – I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: