Sunday, June 14, 2009

Perspective Heart and Obedience


6/14/2009

Philippians 4:17 17 “Not that I seek the gift itself, but I seek for the profit which increases to your account.” New American Standard Bible

What? The apostle Paul uses words like, ‘profit’ and ‘increases to your account’? Where’s he going with this – does it really all just boil down to profit and money and increase!? No

It boils down to perspective, heart and obedience. This church supported Paul’s missions work because they believed in God, and in what God was doing through Paul. Paul worked for God and God paid him through gifts from churches that supported his missionary work. The churches, and in this case, especially the church at Philippi, sent Paul money from time to time so Paul could do things like eat, buy clothes and travel. But they gave because they saw the big picture of God – that He was in the business of saving people; they gave because they were grateful for their own salvation and they gave because God put it on their hearts to do so and they obeyed Him. And that according to Paul was a ‘profit’ that was deposited into their heavenly bank account for a future day in the presence of God…

This makes me do a mental inventory of what it is I am doing and how I’m contributing to the treasury of Heaven where money given on earth somehow translate to reward in heaven and God’s blessing on my perspective, heart, and obedience. God is watching me and keeping my account.

Father in Heaven,
You have given me everything I need for life and godliness. You have given me blessing upon blessing and gift upon gift. Today I realize once again that I need to be depositing into my heavenly account by doing good and supporting those who give their lives to follow You. You’ve made me think and evaluate and now Lord, I need to act in the Spirit and love of the Philippians – and Your promise is what Paul said, “and my God shall supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus” – it’s in His Name I pray and obey, amen.

No comments: