Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Credibility Game


6/21/2009

1 Timothy 3:7 7 And he must have a good reputation with those outside the church, so that he will not fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.
New American Standard Bible

Often, maybe in every case, who we are, is determined by what we do. In order to have a good reputation with those outside the church our faith must be visible to them; what we say to them will be established by how we conduct ourselves. Jesus said, “… that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven…” The reason for a good reputation is not to win friends and influence people (although that might happen), but to allow the unbelieving to see the reality of our relationship with God in our everyday living and practice.

What good does it do me to poorly represent God in my work, in my community, and with my neighbors? What good does it do me to represent God well in those situations? I must remember that though I am not justified by those in the world, I am judged by them in the credibility game according to the way I live; they will quickly see if my words match my conduct– therefore, I must have a good reputation with those outside the church so that I may demonstrate that my love for God is the real deal… it even works at home too!

Father in Heaven,
You love even the people of the world; You love them so much that You planted Your life in people like me to show them what life with You is like so that perhaps they may see and believe. Help me to live above reproach and avoid the snare of the devil which is only there to discredit what I say I am in Christ to a watching world – I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: