Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Be

6/9/2009

Ephesians 5:1 1 Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children;
New American Standard Bible

‘Be’ not ‘do’. Paul’s letter to the Ephesians is a letter of marvelous theology and encouragement and there just aren’t that many ‘do’s’ to be found in this epistle. And come to think of it, the ‘do’s’ of the New Testament are, for the most part, do’s directed toward behavior and reflected in loving relationships.

But here in Ephesians 5, is a ‘be’ and I think it’s the best ‘be’ of all: ‘Be imitators of God, as be-loved children.’ In other words, imitate what God does and says. Love truth, wisdom, and caring about and for others. Serve with a loving heart – plan ahead for the goodness and well-being of others. Be creative in other-mindedness and take care of the weak and the poor.

That is imitating God, and that is what we, who believe on the Name of Christ, are to be: those who live, love, think, and act as He does…

Imitating someone is best done when that person rubs off on you – I will spend my days seeking God to rub off on me and to guide me into the circumstances and situations that help me to imitate His and reveal His heart in mine.

Father in Heaven,
How wise and wonderful You truly are. You have called me to live in such a manner as to be a reflection of who You are. Because of that calling may the prime focus of my everyday life be that of knowing You better that I may imitate You in every circumstance in which I find myself so that others may see not me, but You – I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: