Friday, June 19, 2009

The Goal


6/19/2009

1 Timothy 1:5 5 But the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. New American Standard Bible

“…Grasp the club firmly, keeping your back straight and your knees bent; draw the club backwards with your left arm straight and then swing downward firmly allowing the clubface hit the ball…now the goal is to reach the hole on the green in as few hits as possible…” That’s the goal of golf…not how I actually play.

The goal of my devotions to the teachings of the Bible and fellowship with the Trinity is love from a pure heart, a good conscience and a sincere faith. A pure heart is a clean heart; a heart devoid of impurity. A good conscience is peace in my mind in light of my behavior as compared to the teachings of Scripture; and a sincere faith is a true and living, active faith – not just wishful thinking. There is a goal to Christianity and that Goal is God; according to Paul I get there by genuine love, godly conduct and unshakable faith; that is how I am to actually live.

So I devote myself to the Word (not just to read it but to live it) with the Goal of reaching God Himself as my motivation. Heaven isn’t my Goal; 72 virgins isn’t my Goal; popularity with the world isn’t my Goal; God is my Goal and here is what God said to one of His servants: “Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your very great reward.” (Genesis 15.1 NIV) My Reward is Abram’s Reward…

Father in Heaven,
As You spoke to Abram (Abraham) You had the rest of us in mind for he was to be the father of many godly people who recognized that You alone are our very great Reward. You are the Goal of my faith and my faith is a means to an end: You! Help me to increase in faith and help me to keep my eye always on the Goal – upon You; I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: