Saturday, June 27, 2009

Continue Convinced


6/27/2009

2 Timothy 3:14 14 You, however, continue in the things you have learned and become convinced of, knowing from whom you have learned them,
New American Standard Bible

Continue – because the temptation is to give up and give in
Learned – what God has and is now revealing through His word and through circumstances and experiences, past and present
Convinced – a depth of understanding that endures and doesn’t fade or diminish in the face of difficulties
Knowing – observing the presence of God in others and embracing and emulating that faith
Whom – the depth of relationship with people; spending time and sharing life with them
Learned – watched, shared, celebrated, wept, pondered; all the necessary elements of time, fellowship and experience that cement these values and turn them into convictions

Paul reminded Timothy of these things because Paul (eyes wide open) had sent Timothy (eyes wide open) into the fray and out among wolves in sheep’s clothing. But Paul reminded Timothy that no matter how bad things may get, and how strong temptations might appear, God was on his side and had supplied him with everything he needed to succeed.

As I look at my life and its evolution over the last few months and years these words of Paul are to me as if he wrote them to me. God has changed my perspective and altered my value system and I will continue in the things I have learned and become convinced of because I know how I learned them, and who God used to teach me.

Father in Heaven,
You've made sure that my life has not been without teachers, mentors, influencers, and experiences that have helped shape me into the believer I am, and given me the convictions I now hold. As I look back over 26 years of walking with You, You've helped me endure in my faith and learn to get rid of some stupid thinking and grow into more maturity. I know we’re not done, You and me, but I trust what You are doing and like Abraham, I am following You into the unknown, knowing that You have a plan and purpose in mind. Thank You, in Jesus’ Name I am enabled; and I pray, amen.

No comments: