Friday, June 5, 2009

Enlightened

6/5/2009

Ephesians 1:18 18 I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, NASB

Whenever I read one of the older translations of the Bible I always read Ephesians 1 with the sense that though I know Paul is saying something wonderful, I’m just not sure what it is – but then I get to verse 18 and things fall into place a little better; I’m still a little unsure of his words but certain that God is up to something good!

I really need the eyes of my heart, that is, my understanding, to be opened or enlightened or illumined, that I may see more clearly what it is that God has for me and what He’s doing with me. I really want to know these things. And then I want to do exactly what He’s called me to do and do it well because of all the things He’s given me. But that requires some things that I already know to do anyway:

I must commune with God – because I live with Him I must accept His presence in all that I do for as roommates, we share everything in life
I must devote myself to reading, studying and conversing about His word – for in it I find the answers to my questions
I must devote myself to doing good – for that is the model for every saint of God
I must talk often with God not only about me but about others who struggle so with life and it’s mysteries
I must allow God to be the Focal Point of all I am and do that I may learn from Him and walk in greater and greater faith

Father in Heaven,
You have called me into eternal fellowship with You and have given me everything I need for life and godliness – I ask that the eyes of my heart may be enlightened, so that I will know what is the hope of Your calling, what are the riches of the glory of Your inheritance in the saints, and what is the surpassing greatness of Your power toward us who believe. I ask for direction this day and for the fellowship of the Holy Spirit as I live, work, and conduct myself as a child of the Living God – I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: