Friday, September 24, 2010

A Thousand Days on Kauai


9.24.2010

Psalm 84:10 10 For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness. ESV

I once went to Hawaii with my wife and kids and spent a week, playing on the beach, touring the island we were on – Kauai, and sleeping in. I really enjoyed it and it was everything everyone (that we knew who’d been there) said it would be. I can only think of one minor negative thing that happened the whole time we were there – the ice-cream nazi out at Hanalei – I could live in Hawaii.

The sons of Korah wrote Psalm 84 and they sang, “For a day in You courts is better than a thousand elsewhere…”. Apparently they didn’t know about Kauai, but they did know this: a day with God is infinitely better than a thousand days in the best place we can think of. Yes, I could spend a thousand days in Hawaii, but I know I’d grow tired of it and the worries and fears I pack around would shown up at some point. There would be more negativity and harsh words. Life – even in paradise – would’ve eventually returned to normal with all of its normality and everyday-ness; sin is alive and well in Hawaii.

But imagine (not as John Lennon opined) a place where there are no politics, no fear, no awkwardness. Imagine a place where you are completely and peacefully accepted and where the focus is totally upon God and not at all upon you. Imagine a place where the ice-cream nazi finds truth, forgiveness and salvation. Imagine a place where you are wholly holy whole. That’s the presence of God and that is better than a thousand days anywhere else. God’s presence can be experienced in the midst of whatever the normalcy of life we live and frees us to enjoy Him right here, right now. That’s better than a thousand days on Kauai; or anywhere else for that matter…

Father in Heaven,
“How lovely is Your dwelling place. My soul longs and even faints for You; for here my heart is satisfied, within Your presence, I sing beneath the shadow of Your wings. Better is one day in Your courts… Better is one day in Your house…” *
Amen

*Kutless, (C) 2005 BEC Recordings

1 comment:

Liz said...

Yes, yes, and AMEN... and to be a doorkeeper inviting those outside in--- what a joy!