Saturday, September 25, 2010

Finished Work


9.25.2010

Luke 8:51 51 And when he came to the house, he allowed no one to enter with him, except Peter and John and James, and the father and mother of the child. ESV

Peter, John, and James were chosen. The rest of the apostles were as well but these particular three were like the small group leaders of the rest of the twelve. And Jesus chose only them to accompany Him on many of His assignments. That’s half the story – the other half is that these three, along with the others, were chosen for Jesus so that He could work with them.

Working with someone who has been chosen by someone else is sometimes difficult. There can be problems with allegiances, perspectives, expectations, and chemistry. The potential one sees may be the problem to another looking at the same person. My personal belief is that God the Father revealed to Jesus who He was to work with and Jesus said, “Your will be done.” My personal belief is that Jesus accepted these men despite their faults and flaws and obeyed God by working with them.

Peter was every bit the loose-cannon; James and John were mouthy. But Jesus worked with them and undertook what it took to see that their lives changed and ultimately presented them back to God as finished work.

As a leader, I am not always involved in the choosing who process and it is my job to work with whomever I’m given. The test is as much for me as it is for them. That’s what I like about God – He always gives us who we need, not who we want – He looks at hearts and chooses the ones who’ll assist Him in changing ours as we work in changing theirs.

Father in Heaven,
It always boils down to trust – do I trust You that the people in my life are the exact ones You’ve chosen to help me in my progress as a disciple? May I honor You by accepting my circumstances and the people in them by trusting that You’re involved in all of my life to the nth degree; Jesus did. Amen.

No comments: