Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Speak Into


9.7.2010

2 Chronicles 36:9 9 Jehoiachin was eight years old when he became king, and he reigned three months and ten days in Jerusalem. He did what was evil in the sight of the Lord.

Can an eight-year old do evil in the sight of the Lord? Well, with the right kind of advisors he can much wrong. Jehoiachin managed to do evil in the sight of the Lord. Who ever intended for eight-year olds to be rulers anyway? Apparently Nebuchadnezzar saw trouble and brought the kid to Babylon where he could inculcate him (verse 10).

Part of my mission is to befriend and speak into the lives of kids – of all ages. It’s risky, many parents don’t care for their kids much but get staunchly jealous when someone else does. Kinda weird, but that’s the way it goes. My own 12-year child needs me to speak into his life and sometimes he doesn’t like it… but there are others out there worshiping Jesus who can speak the truth to him.

Our children are quite capable of doing evil in the sight of the Lord. We must as parents and believers speak truth into them and come alongside to usher them into adulthood. They need us to do so. That means however, that I must carefully usher my own life so that I can effectively and genuinely speak into the lives of the young.

Father in Heaven,
Thank You for our children (thank You for mine!) You intend for us to help our kids to learn right from wrong and to avoid evil and not just avoid getting caught. Help me as I befriend kids who come into my life through my child, through my church and through my vocation that they may see You in me and perhaps want to follow You as well, I pray in the Name of the One who said, Let the children come to Me! Amen.

No comments: