Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Greatest Gift Of All


9.12.2010

Daniel 4:37 37 Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and extol and honor the King of heaven, for all his works are right and his ways are just; and those who walk in pride he is able to humble. ESV

There are some marvelous verses in the Bible. There are some truths worth hanging onto with all of one’s being. The above is one. If ever there is a truth worth hanging onto it is this: and those who walk in pride He is able to humble. Pride is the most hideous form of unbelief and is based upon a lie – a lie that says God does not exist; that His Bible is a book of myths.

The truth of God is abhorrent to the proud and arrogant; to respect Someone unseen is utterly ridiculous in their minds. And this is the magnitude of the schism of the fall; that I may do what I want, when I want, and however I want and no one is going to stop me. None that is, except God, who is able to humble those who walk in pride. God’s gift of humility is possibly the greatest gift of all of heaven.

Probably the exile of the Jews was the greatest curse to them but the greatest blessing to the Babylonians whose great king eventually said, “It has seemed good to me to show the signs and wonders that the Most High God has done for me. How great are his signs, how mighty his wonders! His kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and his dominion endures from generation to generation.” (Daniel 4:2-3 ESV) So glad he did that…

God’s humility is one of the greatest things I have ever known and continues to be the greatest changer of my mind. Where once I was the caller-of-the-shots, I am now God’s servant with all the resources of Heaven available to me.

Father in Heaven,
You are able to save the proud and self-righteous. You are able to humble the arrogant. You have helped and are helping me – thank You! May I walk in the greatest gift and follow You with all of my heart – I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: