Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Best Soap Ever

9.28.2010

Luke 11:41 41 But give as alms those things that are within, and behold, everything is clean for you. ESV

The indictment against the Pharisees was they kept the rules at the expense of people's needs; the rules prevented them from being generous and good. They were more concerned about the cleanliness of a dish than they were about people’s lives and ministering to them in their need with the love of God.

Right relationship is true religion. Goodness and generosity are true religion. Caring for others with whatever means we have is true religion that pleases God. Jesus said that the way to be truly clean is not cleaning dishes but sharing with others out of the goodness of one’s heart. It is true that clean dishes are important but I think the Lord meant that they should be clean when serving the needs of the poor. And I should clean them before using them and after so that those who eat from them as I serve them may be honored because I do.

When my focus is only on the dishes then it cannot be upon the heart. Rightly relating to others to care for them and to serve their needs before God is true religion. Helping others to come to know and love the goodness of God is true religion and something worth pursuing. Cleanliness is next to godliness but only when cleanliness benefits someone else.

God has put many things in me in the form of time, love, friendliness, compassion, and the like. These are things that are to be given away to others so that I may accomplish the will of God. I must always keep the needs of others in my focus that I may serve God in cleanliness as a result. The best soap ever is serving the needs of others.

Father in Heaven,
Through Jesus, You’ve put things in me that are to be given away; help me to do that today. May I be filled with Your Spirit to focus on the needs of others and to give away what You’ve given me – in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: