Sunday, September 19, 2010

A Bureaucratic Whim?


9.19.2010

Luke 2:1 1 In those days a decree went out from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be registered. ESV

I wonder what Caesar Augustus would’ve thought if he knew he was going to mentioned in the Bible and his bureaucratic edict (whim) was going to be an colossal nuisance to the known world that he decreed to be registered…place a control-freak in charge and whaddaya get?

I appreciate the honesty of the Bible in mentioning the Caesars, the governors and the known officials of that day. I also appreciate the suffering that the people of the Bible had to go through because some self-important someone somewhere decided to do something that would financially stretch everybody; especially a young Jewish couple who had to leave their home and livelihood at their own expense just so that someone would somehow feel better about it – but would fulfill God’s will in the process.

As believers we’re not immune to the belches and farts of government. The question is how do we react when the sounds and emissions begin? God says we’re to please Him by praying for our leaders – the good and the bad; the self-important and the humble. If I lived in Palestine in those days I would’ve had to do as they all had to do – take time out of my everyday life to go on my own dime to my hometown to get listed.

I know times have changed and for some divine reason God has privileged me with the right to vote; and I need to exercise my right. But I also need to honor the rulers God has appointed for me and refrain from criticizing them – I don’t think I should pray out of one side of my mouth and complain out of the other. Vote yes, talk to God about them? Yes!

Father in Heaven,
Just as You used the edict then to get Your people to the right place at the right time so You the faults and gaffs of the current set of rulers over me to get me to pay closer attention to what they’re up to. You also call me to pray for them that Your will may be done for the Church. Help me to honor You by praying and not complaining. Help me to realize that You use everything in my life for good and for Your purposes – in Jesus’ Name I pray, amen.

No comments: