Thursday, September 23, 2010

Name-Saying and Game-Playing


9.23.2010

Luke 6:46 46 “Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you? ESV

This is the question for the ages. The honest answer from most to Jesus’ query, “Because You are not Lord, Lord – I am; and I do what I want when I want unless I really need You to come through for me.”

I had to stop and think about my relationship with Jesus this morning. I’m often guilty of calling the Lord, Lord and then going and doing what I want, not what He says. So is He really my Lord or is He another option among the many that I fancy I have? Time for contemplative prayer…

It’s a privilege to call Jesus Lord, not a right. The minute it becomes a right then it becomes all about me and not about Him. It’s a privilege that must be honored because to call Jesus Lord is to accept Him for who He is, what He’s done, and for what lies in the future; the future that is always one tiny little moment out of our reach… But with the privilege comes the honor and respect due the name, Lord; that means we must do as the Lord asks that we may rightfully honor His Name, Lord. Time for contemplative prayer…

Yes, I had to stop and think about my relationship with Jesus the Lord and ask myself if I’m really calling Him Lord; because if I am, I’m really doing as He asks. Today, Jesus is Lord to those who seek Him and ask Him to be; one day, He’ll be the Lord to those who don’t want Him to be; every knee will bow… Time for contemplative prayer…

Lord Jesus,
It is all about rightly relating to You in every possible way. You have given me the privilege of calling You Lord with all the responsibility that comes with that privilege. May I not be guilty of name-saying and game-playing; may I do as You ask and seek to know You more that I may stand firm in my faith and take action as You direct – amen.

No comments: