Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Punitive and Therapeutic


9.15.2010

Ezekiel 39:29 29 "And I will not hide my face anymore from them, when I pour out my Spirit upon the house of Israel, declares the Lord God.” ESV

We might think of God hiding His face two ways: punitive and therapeutic. When God hides His face from us it is both for our correction and for our healing.

When God hides His face it doesn’t mean He’s gone, it just means He’s not manifestly present. When God looked for the man and the woman in Genesis 3 it wasn’t that He was unsure of where they were, He wanted them to know they weren’t where they were supposed to be.

God hid His face from Israel because she became two-faced with Him – she worshiped idols and tried to worship the Lord as well. Won’t work – never has, never will. God didn’t remove Himself from the chastisement and correction of the people of Israel; on the on contrary He was very active in their discipline. So God’s hiding is both punitive and therapeutic. When we can’t see God because of our sin, that’s punitive; when we can’t see Him otherwise, it should evoke a renewed and energized seeking on our part; that’s therapeutic.

Bottom line is the heart of faith that says, ‘whether I see Him or not, I will trust He’s here and always will be – therefore I strive to conduct myself in a manner worthy of His presence at all times.’ I cannot visibly see God, but I can trust wholeheartedly in His presence at all times.

Father in Heaven,
Your word assures me that a time is coming when I will be enabled to see You face to face. In the meantime may I live aware and focused on Your presence and may I conduct myself accordingly. Thank You for the promise that You will never leave me nor forsake me – in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: