Monday, August 16, 2010

The Tipping Point


08/16/10

2 Kings 24.3 3Surely this came upon Judah at the command of the LORD, to remove them out of his sight, for the sins of Manasseh, according to all that he had done, 4and also for the innocent blood that he had shed. For he filled Jerusalem with innocent blood, and the LORD would not pardon.
ESV

You know, sometimes you just reach a point. Maybe it's the straw that breaks the camel's back – or maybe you've just had enough; the faucet's dripped one too many times. And so when you reach the point you make a decision – I'm gonna break off the relationship; I'm gonna fix that stupid faucet; I'm gonna tell my boss how I really feel...

Interestingly, the point God gets to in this narrative in Jeremiah 24 is the result of someone who’s not even around anymore; his name was Manasseh, and he was the king two kings before the current one. They say the sins of the father's are passed along to the third and fourth generation. Manasseh was a bad dude who acted tyrannically, irresponsibly and brutally; and managed, without a whole lot of effort, to garner God's displeasure. Manasseh was the tipping point in the history of the southern kingdom.

However, Manasseh repented before he died but his repentance was (I think) a little too late and the damage he did reached a point where it was irreparable, irreversible, and the kingdom was by then, irredeemable. Manasseh's son Josiah was a remarkably godly king who did much good for the nation but again, because of Manasseh, the damage was already done. Sometimes what's done is done and the wheels of fortune are unstoppable. That's why Jeremiah had to deliver this message to the current king – Jehoiakim.

So what about the tipping point in my life – is there one; am I aware of it; and what is (or could) God (be) saying to me? I must be aware of the love of God but I also must be aware of His heart and His discipline. He loves me enough to forgive me but He loves me too much to let me continue in sin and rebellion. Additionally I must remember that my sins have a ripple-effect that spill over into the lives of the third and fourth generation.

Father in Heaven,
You are loving and forgiving but You are serious about godliness in my life. I don't know if I've reached the tipping point but I trust You to let me know if I have. Help me in the meantime to focus on Your heart and Your love that I may avoid a message like Jehoiakim got from Jeremiah – in Jesus' Name, amen.

No comments: