Saturday, August 21, 2010

Proof Text


8.21.2010

1 John 2:6 6 whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked. ESV

If ever there was a proof text, this is it – “…whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.” It’s not a proof-text to fortify my own theological perspective; it’s a text that proves that who I say I am matches what I do. And it’s not just a proof text for me to prove myself to others; it’s for me because as I study the life of Jesus I should find myself imitating and emulating how He lived and what He stood for. If I’m not then I’m probably not abiding in Him as I ought – which means I’m probably not really abiding in Him at all. I’m not convinced there are gradations of abiding – either I am or I’m not.

Abiding in Jesus means accepting His lordship over me and accepting His presence in me; I’m to be focused solely and wholly upon Him at all times. That is abiding or living in Him. I abide in Baker City and accept the culture there. Baker City is my physical place of residence. My mail comes to Baker City; my friends all recognize and accept that Baker City is where I live. But they also need to see that as I walk and live in Baker City that I also walk and live in Jesus Christ spiritually and the overflow of His life in me dictates how I behave and speak. Whoever says he abides in Him ought to, by familiarity and intimacy with Him, walk in the same way in which He walked – fully submitted to God. There just ain’t that many folks around like that…

I need to realize the importance of such a truth. I need to walk as Jesus walked and talk as He talked because I’ll never be who I’m supposed to be if I don’t.

Father in Heaven,
There are texts in Scripture that prove who I am in You – this one is one. Help me to realize who I am in You and where I live – in You! Father may I be the man You’ve called me to be, and may others see the fruit of my residency – dwelling always in the realm and personality of Christ – in His Name, amen.

No comments: