Sunday, August 22, 2010

Condition


8.22.2010

1 John 3:22 22 and whatever we ask we receive from him, because we keep his commandments and do what pleases him. ESV

I know that some readers of these thoughts are too young to remember The Fiddler on the Roof. I didn’t realize the movie musical was produced in 1971. I think the Broadway production was around 1964. There – a bit of Hollywood history for you – don’t you feel better now?

A song in the move (Tradition) speaks of the tradition of the Jews in the late czarist days of Russia. The song depicts the traditions of these people and what they thought they were supposed to do, according to their traditions, to score points with God. I think the song was incorrectly written – I know it is for the believer; for the Christian it is not tradition but condition; it’s not just a matter of keeping the traditions of our faith but of meeting the conditions of God. And John spells that out for us by saying, “…and whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do what pleases Him.” We receive God’s unconditional love in order to conditionally receive from Him by doing what He says.

My life in Christ is a mix of being and doing; John makes this point very clear; because we keep His commandments and do what pleases Him. I must keep His commandments because He’s created me in Him to do so, and I must do what pleases Him by living out what I believe. The end result is I receive from Him what I need to continue to both be and do. However, receiving from Him is conditional and I must always remember that – my obedience to His command is what paves the way for me to receive His good gifts. This is authentic Christianity.

Father in Heaven,
Your conditions are our traditions – or at least they should be. The traditions I must keep are those of the saints who’ve gone before me who sought You earnestly, listened to You carefully, and obeyed You entirely. May these be true of my life in You – I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: