Tuesday, August 31, 2010

There Really is a God!


8.31.2010

Ezekiel 14:23 23 They will console you, when you see their ways and their deeds, and you shall know that I have not done without cause all that I have done in it, declares the Lord God.” ESV

A quick read through Ezekiel 14 reveals that their ways and deeds will be amended and the consolation to others is the peace that comes through witnessing amended ways; and the knowledge that God caused it all to happen.

We tend to be just like the people of old and our God, like theirs, becomes nothing more than a supposed genie to be pulled out when the going gets rough. Religion is born in places like adversity, prison, and fox-holes. Religion is born when my wants outweigh my needs. Religion is born out of selfishness and self-preservation. But for people to go through God’s cleansing as described in Ezekiel 14, is to see changed lives that no longer try to manipulate God in to giving them what they think they want. God’s cleansing brings about repentance, holiness, and a fleeing from sin and selfishness into true obedient relationship that’s a marvel to see!

I purpose to be a person who brings consolation that God is working in my life and that what happens to me is something I can say with assurance that He did it (or caused it) for my good and with cause to effect holiness and righteousness in me. After all, isn’t that why we seek God anyway? Or are we just trying to get to Him to check off our list of wants…?

Father in Heaven,
You are working in my life and I ask to recognize it and respond to it carefully, consciously, and correctly. I pray that Your work in my life may cause others to be consoled and to say with their hearts, “There really is a God!”. Father, thank You for seeing through to completion the work You started in me the day I accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior and Lord – in His Name I pray, amen.

No comments: