Sunday, August 15, 2010

Asking Questions Like Jeremiah Did


8.15.2010

Jeremiah 20:18 18 Why did I come out from the womb to see toil and sorrow, and spend my days in shame? ESV

Hmmm, good question Jeremiah! Why did you? Sometimes it feels like that – that our days are all toil and sorrow and filled with shame. Sometimes it feels like we ought to give up and just go get plastered and live out the rest of our days in debauchery. Sometimes…

Jeremiah lived with the burden of sharing the Lord’s heart with his countrymen and they didn’t want to listen. The time was growing short and the Lord was executing justice against them and they just didn’t seem to care; sounds a lot like our day. Recently, a friend asked me if we should speak up and speak out against the evil in our day. My response: if God tells you to. But if He does, don’t be surprised that only a scant few will listen – our culture owns us. And don’t be surprised if you then start asking questions like Jeremiah did – Why did I come out from the womb to see toil and sorrow, and spend my days in shame?

You and I, if we are called in Christ, are to make our ways and our days filled with this: “I made known to them your name, and I will continue to make it known, that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.” (John 17:26) the only way to kill hate in this world is with the love of God and even then not everyone will make that choice. Politics ain’t gonna get’r done; neither is commerce, religion, or regulation. The only true power in this world is the love of God in us, which builds and protects our hearts.

Father in Heaven,
You are the Way, the Truth, and the Life. You are the Solution and our only Hope. I pray for myself and my friend and for others in the family who frequently get overwhelmed by the stuff that we would find courage and hope in Your love and that we would set about to use our days to share the message of Your love with people who are too deceived into thinking there is some other way to find peace and fulfillment in this life. May we know that we know that we know Your Name – GOD – and then may our lives be lived out accordingly. To Your glory I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: