Sunday, August 29, 2010

Ezekiels Among Us


8.29.2010

Ezekiel 4:14 14 Then I said, “Ah, Lord God! Behold, I have never defiled myself. From my youth up till now I have never eaten what died of itself or was torn by beasts, nor has tainted meat come into my mouth.” ESV

I’ll bet I know what you’re thinking – you’re thinking, he’s gonna tell us all that he’s defiled himself, and eaten tainted meat before – that’s what you’re thinking… Well, it’s true, I’ve defiled myself. (The tainted meat thing is more like some spoiled smoked salmon I ate for which I paid a heavy price at the wheel of the porcelain bus in the wee hours of the following morning – yikes!) I won’t go into detail on the defilement thing; my new conversation code: N-I-N! (No Information Necessary!)

I do know folks however whom I suspect have not defiled themselves. I know some folks with marvelously bright and clean character who’ve been virgins until the day they were married and have been clean both morally and mentally. I know everyone has their moments but there are some among us would be the Ezekiels who could say back to God, “Lord, that’s a load of crap! I can’t do that – even though You just told me too!” For that I would say thanks to a guy named Dave, a guy named Dean and a lady named Debbie – to name three - there are more... They walk among us and to my knowledge they’ve kept themselves pure; they’re some of today’s Ezekiels.

For me though, all I can do is live with who I once was and remember who I am – now. Through Christ, God has made me different and I need to always remember that. I am no longer who I once was although I’m not yet who I’ll be; but I’m on the right road. Today, the burden seemed heavier than usual but today is ending and God has faithfully loved me along the way with all of my flaws, faults, and filth (my mind has been taking a beating all day long.)

Father God,
It’s been nice to remember Your goodness and love and that You love us how we are right now – You’re not waiting for us to be better before You bless us with the bounty of Your love; we’re accepted right now, flawed, filthy and at fault. Thank You for Your marvelous grace and for the Ezekiels among us. Thank You for their impact in, and on, my life – in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: