Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Theology of the Outcast


8.7.2010

John 9:31 31 We know that God does not listen to sinners, but if anyone is a worshiper of God and does his will, God listens to him. ESV

What do you know? In all of your life experience, what have you picked up along the way of value, of truth; of life? What have you learned to do and to avoid? The theology of the outcast is this: we know that God does not listen to sinners, but is anyone is a worshiper of God and does His will, God listens to him.

I find it noteworthy that the outcast says we’re to do two things: (1) worship God, and (2) do His will. The two are inseparable if we’re to have an audience with the Almighty. God doesn’t listen to those who doubt or don’t do. It is not by works that we are saved, it’s by faith; but our faith must be demonstrated by how we live – if we worship God, our lives must be a series of daily expressions of worship in all we do (1 Corinthians 10.31). If that doesn’t guide our behavior, I don’t know what would…sin and the silence of God, I guess.

The question I have to ask myself is does what I know – that God listens to the working worshiper – express itself in my relationships and behaviors? If I am the real deal, it certainly ought to.

Father in Heaven,
You aren’t interested in my opinions – only my obedience. You aren’t interested in what I know, You are watching my every move to see that I am in step with Your Spirit. Help me this day to live what I believe and to behave what I know; that You are God and I am not; and I am to worship You in all I do trusting that as I do, You will listen to me, love me, and help me. Amen.

No comments: