Thursday, August 26, 2010

Daily Goodness


8.26.2010

3 John 11 11 Beloved, do not imitate evil but imitate good. Whoever does good is from God; whoever does evil has not seen God. ESV

I can identify with brother John – he seemed to be a black and white sort of guy – whoever does good is from God; whoever does evil has not seen God. There didn’t seem to be much middle ground with John; kinda makes me wonder what his childhood looked like, what he thought of Zebedee, his dad. Makes me wonder what went through his head in those days with Jesus; he and his brother James weren’t called the Sons of Thunder for nothing.

I’m not sure John was as charismatic as Peter; I don’t think he was as thunderous as James, but it’s a sure thing that John confronted evil wherever he was and as long as he lived. I think he held a special place in Jesus’ heart.

I’m a black and white sort of person and tend to see things as either or. But life has a way of tempering that and like John I desire to see the differences in life clearly that I may live effectively for God. People who know me might call me a son of thunder as well – perhaps a few more years of tempering will help.

Whoever does good – that means as a reflex of life. If my reflex is to always react negatively or falsely then I will only remain thunderous and a passing nuisance. Thunder follows lightning and lightning is brilliant but for a moment. I desire for my life to shine but for more that just for moments; daily goodness and continued goodness accomplishes that… I think that’s where John ended up.

Father in Heaven,
I want to be like John in that I’d like to be used by You for as long as I live. I know and hear the echoes of thunder in my life and I see the brilliant but passing flashes of lightning as well. Lord let me not be momentary, but enduring. May my experiences temper me to be solid, faithful and lasting until You call me home – help me to be effective in Your Kingdom just like John – who wanted to be just like Jesus, and woke up one day to discover he was just himself in You. Amen.

No comments: