Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Looking At Jesus


8.18.2010

John 20:29 29 Jesus said to him, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” ESV

What disarray the disciples and the women were in after the crucifixion of our Lord – they were an emotional train-wreck. Emotions can make messes. When emotions take over sometimes reason goes out the window; that’s why we need faith. But even with faith our intellect struggles trying to figure it out.

Jesus said to Thomas, “Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” It’s not that Thomas wasn’t blessed, it was just that Jesus wasn’t going to show Himself to others the same way He’d shown Himself to Thomas. Thomas was blessed; he got to see what we all want to see – or at least what we say we want to see…

Seeing forces us to come to terms with all of what Jesus said and did and acknowledge it to be true; and with that truth come to terms with all we’ve done and how all of that lines up to what He said. That’s when we get uncomfortable. Looking at Jesus and accepting all of who He is, is a lot like sticking our faces into the sun; we’re gonna see what nobody else sees, but it’s gonna burn like heck. Will the sight be worth the pain? (Correct answer: YES)

But, it isn’t really about seeing, it’s about believing; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed. My believing is not based on sight but on the reality that invisible and unseen, Jesus is always with me – and because of that I am always with Him. I believe because He’s enabled me to believe and see the evidence of His presence in my world, my experiences, and in others. And that fact, in itself, forces me to come to terms with all of who He is, and all of who I am in Him. It’s about believing and responding according to my belief.

Jesus,
May the life You’ve given me be the life that blesses others who cannot see You, but see the evidence of You in me. It’s not about my behavior but about Your presence in me that causes me to say and do what You tell me to; and blesses others because I do what I do. May I do in Your Name today, amen.

No comments: