Friday, August 13, 2010

The Divine Mystery Shopper


8.13.2010

John 15:2 2 Every branch of mine that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. ESV

There is a divine expectation that the believer bears fruit; that is what he’s created for in Christ, to bear fruit. The fruit he’s to bear looks like love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. (Galatians 5.23) the fruit he bears is fellowship, obedience, steadfastness, endurance, and community. The fruit he bears is what the world is starving for and does not often see. The fruit he bears is the fruit that nourishes and sustains souls in a world that is bleak and black, and bound for destruction. God is looking to give fruit to the world so that people may live to know Him.

So God takes a divinely keen interest in our lives as we profess to know Him and as we live out our lives before Him. God is like the Divine Mystery Shopper who looks at our lives and sees if we do what we say we do. And when He sees little or no fruit, He takes divine action in our circumstances to see to it that we do what we say we do. And sometimes, like ancient Israel, He cuts off persistent fruitlessness because He won’t waste His divine energy on persistent fruitlessness. God is looking for lasting fruit that will make a lasting difference.

And the ONLY WAY I can bear fruit is to live with Him – always. I must live with Him at work and in leisure. I must live with Him in peace and confrontation. I must attend to His word and serve others. My life – in order to bear fruit – must be all about Him – period. Too narrow, maybe. Too strict, maybe. Either way, it sure beats being cut off…

Father in Heaven,
You know that when I read John 15 I decide that I am going to bear more fruit – but Father, I can only do that as I abide in You; and I ask You to help me, empower me, and assist me, to do just that. May my life bear the fruit You choose and may I surrender my time (which is really the only resource I have) to You, for Your glory and the benefit of those around me – in Christ, amen.

No comments: