Saturday, August 28, 2010

May I Please Be Overwhelmed


8.28.2010

Ezekiel 3:15 15 And I came to the exiles at Tel-abib, who were dwelling by the Chebar canal, and I sat where they were dwelling. And I sat there overwhelmed among them seven days. ESV

After having read to this point in Ezekiel, I have to admit I’m feeling a little overwhelmed myself; wings and wheels and creatures and faces and a Voice – whew! (I don’t blame you Zeke!) So I wonder what he thought. I know how he felt – overwhelmed.

As I read the prophets and think about their lives, I realize that most of them were called to do and say things that – maybe – hadn’t yet entered their minds – except for the fact that they sounded hugely disappointed in the conduct and beliefs of their fellow countrymen. So it doesn’t surprise me that they were a little undone (Isaiah), a tad timid (Jeremiah) or plain old overwhelmed (Ezekiel) (not to mention Daniel and that John fell as a dead man). Divine visitations and calling can be very uncomfortable things. Trying telling your present-day countrymen that the god we call life, liberty, and happiness isn’t the God of the Bible; see how uncomfortable your reception is…

I can’t tell you the last time I read something in Scripture that blew me away to the point where I was overwhelmed. I’m too overwhelmed by the slow economy, foreclosure and the shenanigans of our current crop of government leaders who seem to have lost their minds somewhere along the road. In eternity it won’t matter one whit what they thought or what they did – all that will matter is how I responded to God no matter what someone else did or didn’t do. I think I’m under-whelmed at my lack of being overwhelmed at the awesomeness and presence of God in my life.

Father God,
You are overwhelming because we have never seen or been around anyone who comes even one atomic particle closer to Your infinite awesomeness; there is no one anywhere who can ever come close. But Lord, I want to draw close to You even at the risk of being overwhelmed for seven days (or more). When You deem I’m ready, may I please be overwhelmed…I ask that in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: