Friday, August 27, 2010

God’s Memory


8.27.2010

Jeremiah 52:31 31 And in the thirty-seventh year of the exile of Jehoiachin king of Judah, in the twelfth month, on the twenty-fifth day of the month, Evil-merodach king of Babylon, in the year that he became king, lifted up the head of Jehoiachin king of Judah and brought him out of prison.

If I did the math right, in the 37th year of exile Jehoiachin would’ve turned 55. After being raised in a royal family and ascending the throne during the first eighteen years of his life, Jehoiachin then spent the next thirty-seven in a Babylonian prison and was released in the year that he turned fifty-five. This guy is a bit of an enigma to me and I have to depend on commentaries to figure out who he is, but God knew him all along and God remembered him when he turned 55 years old; and Jehoiachin served in the court of pagan king until he died.

If God did that for Jehoiachin, what will he do for us? Jehoiachin did evil in the sight of the Lord (2 Kings 24.9) What about you and I? God remembers us, looks after us, and doesn’t operate on the same time-table we do. (God doesn’t operate on a time-table at all – He only and ever operates out of love!) Whatever our circumstances and experiences, whether we count them as good or bad, God is in the midst of them and uses all of them to reveal Himself to us and He never forgets us – ever.

I am always touched by the account of Jehoiachin’s release from prison. I am always reminded when I read it of the goodness and kindness of God which leads me to repentance and strengthens my relationship with Him. I too am 55 years old this year and I too am full of expectation in God remembrance of me and that He has plenty for me to do until the day I die… then it’s off to heaven for the next round!

Father in Heaven,
You never stop working in me. You never rest in Your pursuit of my excellence which You orchestrate and create. You always remember and know just what I need to take me to the next step in my journey home. May I serve You with a glad and joyful heart today and may my life be a reflection of Your goodness and mercy to me in this, my fifty-fifth year – in Jesus’ Name I pray, amen.

No comments: