Thursday, August 12, 2010

Loving is Doing
8.12.2010

John 14:31 "...but I do as the Father has commanded me, so that the world may know that I love the Father." ESV

He will never steer me wrong; He will never lead me in a false direction. He will always lead me right to where I’m supposed to be and He will always direct me to do exactly as I am to do. That is God and that is His way. The upshot of all this is that people will ‘see’ that He is and that I love Him.

Following God may not look logical or, to us, even correct. But people are looking for what’s best for them. It may not be the best, but it’s the best for them. That’s where the rub comes in because God wants the best for us and knows the best for us but often His best (which is the best) is at odds with our own selfishness. But over and above what is best is the visible love for God that is shown when one obeys Him. It really doesn’t matter whether people love God or not; what really matters is that I demonstrate my love for God by doing as He has commanded me. That’s what’s important.

God desires that all men come to know Him and obey Him but He’s not so naïve as to believe that they will all do it – that’s why Jesus came to show us how it’s done. What’s important is to see the love Jesus had for the Father in doing all that He commanded and that love is to be evident in me by my obedience to God. Therefore I must say ‘no’ to everything in me that is opposed to God.

Father in Heaven,
Like attempting to get into shape, obeying You is a practice that I must practice every moment of every day of my brief life. And what is important is that You get the glory, and others see that, like Jesus, I love You. Father, may my love for You be demonstrated by all I do and may others see that I love You by doing what You say – I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: