Monday, May 1, 2017

Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes

5/1/2017
(Reading: Matthew 18)

Matthew 18.3 And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. – Jesus

This chapter of Matthew is filled with some very specific instructions, and a few warnings as well. Jesus’ tone, as teacher and Lord, is a bit sterner in my view. But can we blame Him – these people had 15 centuries of culture to overcome and Jesus had to give them unfiltered truth.

When the question arose amongst His disciples as to greatness in the Kingdom, He was quick to quell the trash-talking by having a small child stand before them and He said, “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.” I can imagine the looks on the faces of these men as they considered what their Lord just told them… I see the look on my face.

When we are told something, perhaps as a rebuke, we must be careful that we are to learn from what we are told, not to identify with what we are told. Jesus told His disciples, “… unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.” He didn’t call them children; He didn’t insult them; He simply told them there was a different way and that hierarchy in Heaven, was not as it is on earth.

Jesus told His men, if it’s status you want, you must change how you see yourselves: as dependent, trusting children before God. God has enough experts; He’s looking for the humble and dependent – kinda like kids who don’t know where pancakes come from, they only know as they ask for more, someone will supply. Children aren’t looking for expertise; they need someone to meet their needs.

In these days of change, I accept where I am in life more than I used to. Life is changing and has changed. And it will continue to change. The Only One who will see me through is God Almighty. In these days, my currency counts for much less than I once thought. There are others more suited to A,B, or C; or, X, Y, or Z. My takeaway this morning: Paul become more childlike because, unless you do, you’ll find God’s freeing Kingdom, burdensome.

Life is change, and continues to be so. Will I change with it, or will I stubbornly cling to the visage I have of how things used to be? I am called to become like a dependent child, looking to Another to meet my needs. Can I/will I change my perception of myself before God and trust in Him?

Father in Heaven, work in me today to see life as You see it, not how I think it should be. I pray for the courage and determination to become like a little boy in humble dependence upon You. Unquestioning. Dependent. Needy. It is only as I change and see myself as You do, that I am set free… Amen

No comments: