Sunday, May 28, 2017

Sovereignty

5/28/2017
 
Romans 9.11-12 11 Yet, before the twins were born or had done anything good or bad—in order that God’s purpose in election might stand: 12 not by works but by him who calls—she was told, “The older will serve the younger.” 13 Just as it is written: “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.” – St. Paul 

The Bible often uses language that makes me feel uncomfortable – take Romans 9, for instance. In this chapter of the great epistle to the Romans, Paul uses some terms that ought to give us pause. 

Consider some of these Greatest Hits from Romans 9:
·         Nor because they are his descendants are they all Abraham’s children.
·         Just as it is written: “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.”
·         For Scripture says to Pharaoh: “I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.”
·         What if God, although choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath—prepared for destruction?
·         Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.
·         See, I lay in Zion a stone that causes people to stumble and a rock that makes them fall, and the one who believes in him will never be put to shame.”

These are massive statements that portray a massive, sovereign God.  The one thing I get from all this is simply: He is God and I am not; and the way He works is beyond my comprehension. Election is God’s doing, not man’s; and I would be well served to believe that. 

I hear many say things like, “God would never do that – He only allows things like that to happen.” Really? I think we misunderstand God. God does what God wants, and God accepts responsibility for all that He does: He alone, is sovereign. He, has mercy on whom He wants to have mercy, and hardens whom He wants to harden. That doesn’t sound like God allowing; it sounds like He has a purpose. And that’s our struggle: His purpose. 

I saw a quote which said: “We are not necessarily doubting that God will do the best for us: we are wondering how painful the best will turn out to be.” And that I think, is the prime-motivator: how much is my relationship with God going to cost me? 

It’s going to cost me my belief. It’s going to cost me persecution. It’s going to cost me suffering. It’s going to cost me friends and family. It’s going to cost me my wealth and health. It’s going to cost me my time and my priorities. It’s going to cost me my life. It’s going to cost me everything I have … but, in turn, I am going to gain everything He has, for all eternity. The price is worth the belief. 

God is sovereign, and those who doubt Him will struggle with that immensely. But God is also love and He freely gives His love to all who freely accept it. The caution is simply: trust God in all things at all times, and be thankful that He is, and we are not. 

Father God, thank You for Your sovereignty over all things, especially my life. I can live in fear of You, that it’s going to hurt, or I can hurt in You knowing You love me and Your purpose is best. Help me to trust You in all things and be thankful for whatever happens. You are God, and I am not. Amen

No comments: