Tuesday, May 16, 2017

In Writing

5/16/2017

1 Chronicles 28. 19 “All this,” David said, “I have in writing as a result of the Lord’s hand on me, and he enabled me to understand all the details of the plan.” 

Say what you will about David – his prowess as a warrior, a worshiper of God, his skill as a musician, his kingship, and all that he accomplished for Israel – the man was a thinker. David may have been busy, but whenever he had ‘down time’ his mind was always going, and going, and going. 

At the end of his days David had thoughts about bigger, bolder, better. He wanted to increase the capacity of Israel’s militarily, he wanted to expand his global influence, and he wanted to build a temple for God. (Personally, I think David got a good case of the guilties over his living in a spectacular palace, and God’s Ark being in a tent…) So, David sought to build that temple, but God said, No! Your son Solomon will build the temple… but I’m going to let you in on the planning process. 

But that didn’t stop David from thinking about it, dreaming about it, and planning in his mind what it would look like; and what a sight it would be for God’s people to view reminding them of the magnificence of their God. And David wrote it all down. Huh! 

I think we all dream, plan, and envision. I think there are those pet thoughts in our minds of things we’d like to create, correct, or cause. Some of us are better than others at the planning process. And some of us are going to do whatever it takes to get ‘er done. Some of us are dreamers, others are doers. David didn’t get to build the temple, but he dreamed it into existence. He wrote down all the plans. 

Some dream, some do, and some dream and do. And some are just the catalyst to get the thing moving. David was a catalyst. I think God put the thought in David’s mind to plan the temple, but God’s plan was for Solomon to, get ‘er done! And he got ‘er did. It started with a thought that God planted in David’s mind. 

And so, what do we think about? Are we dreamers or doers, or both? What really stood out to me today was that David wrote it all down saying: “I have in writing as a result of the Lord’s hand on me, and he enabled me to understand all the details of the plan.” God’s fingerprints were all over the project before it even started. What about you and me – what does God want to accomplish through us? It may start with something as simple as a case of the guilties over what we have, or do, that would benefit others. 

As for us, I think we need to follow David’s lead in talking to God about it, and then writing it all down. Whether we actually do the work or not, isn’t as important as getting all the details right with God’s hand on us enabling us to understand all the details of the plan… Are we ready to get to work? 

Father, I think about this and ask myself today, what do You have in store for me? It might start with writing thoughts down and giving them to You for guidance, encouragement, and accomplishment. David set the example for me and Lord, I want to do what You want me to do. Help me as I think and plan to see where this is all headed, and give You all the credit when it falls into place. Amen

No comments: