Friday, May 26, 2017

The Rebuke

5/26/2017 

Proverbs 1.23 Repent at my rebuke! Then I will pour out my thoughts to you, I will make known to you my teachings. – Wisdom 

I find it fascinating that the Proverbs portray Wisdom as a personality. I think we tend to think of wisdom, training, and discipline as inanimate things, but not so the Scripture.  

And right out of the gate in Proverbs 1, we find the personality of Wisdom. Wisdom is fair-minded, but not to be messed with. God, also is fair-minded, but not to be messed with. Perhaps the personality of Wisdom in Proverbs actually represents the personality of God Himself. Seems fitting to me. 

Wisdom says: Repent at my rebuke! God says, repent, and seek My Kingdom! What Wisdom says is what God says. Wisdom, much like the revelation of God is an experiential and progressive process. Wisdom does not offer prizes to the proud, but practice for the prudent. We don’t use the word prudent that much these days. Perhaps a revival of prudence might be of benefit for many people. 

There is a humility that accompanies Wisdom, it’s called repentance – and the relationship with Wisdom only begins when one heeds Wisdom’s advice. Up until that point, Wisdom only views what we do as foolish, self-centered and disastrous. Jesus said, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.” Repent from what? Repent of leaving Almighty God out of our everyday life. 

Wisdom is not for the foolish or faint in heart. Wisdom, is learning the hard way. Wisdom is learning how to think things through and realizing the consequences or rewards of our actions beforehand. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction. (Proverbs 1.7) In other words, knowledge comes from God and is equated as wisdom and instruction, but is only available to the one who fears (respects) God. Tough call for some. 

To understand Wisdom, we must also include the love of God for His creation – all of us, including, you and me. I think we underestimate the power of sin upon our race, and we routinely disregard the need for God in our daily living. In doing so we overlook how special we are to God. We talk of God’s love so much that it is, in our minds, trite. That’s because sin has dumbed us down to accepting only our own way as the way. 

We see ourselves as dependent upon ourselves. My dad used to say, God helps those who help themselves. That is faulty theology he probably learned being a child of the depression and the Great War. I think what he meant was: God expects the individual to take responsibility for his actions. He may have been onto something there, if that is what he meant. We need Wisdom to take responsibility. 

But God only helps those who turn to Him for help – the word, ‘turn’ means, repent. Repentance is both an Old and New Testament concept. Repentance means I am willing to turn from my ways and accept only God’s ways. True repentance only works when I truly turn.

Father in Heaven, Wisdom’s rebuke is falling on my mind today. As I look at the wreckage of my life and what is laying in its wake, I can only fall on my face in utter shame, and repent! Help me God to be an ‘A’ student in the front row of Wisdom’s school, and to be quick to listen and quick to repent. Amen.

No comments: