Monday, May 15, 2017

Unique

5/15/2017 

1 Thessalonians 4. 7 For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life. – St. Paul 

Last week I learned something. I know, it’s true, Mr. Full-of-Himself actually realized there was one bit more he could cram into his onboard computer. I have often referred to the word, Holy, as being interpreted as ‘other’. It’s what I’ve been taught, and it sounded good to me. God, the Church, and His people are other than all the rest. The Church is other than the world.  

But, I learned that, holy, is better understood as unique. God, among all the gods out there, is unique. The Church, among all the religions out there, is unique. The Bible among all the Scripture and teachings so called, is unique. And the Savior, Jesus Christ, is the most unique of all: He is the only One who died for all our sins. Every person, everywhere – past, present, and future. 

The claim of the world is: the Church, the Scriptures, and the firmly held belief that Jesus is Lord, is no different than the teachings of the Buddha, Mohammed, or any other leader, sect, or cult. The claim of the world is that God, if there is one, will deal with all of us in the way we have dealt with each other. The belief of the world is, what goes around, comes around; payback is real, and life is, mostly, just part of an endless training cycle man goes through before he gets it right…whatever right is. 

The pull of the world’s thought is all roads lead to God. The answer of Christianity is: All roads lead to Christ, and only He provides access to God the Father. Jesus said, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14.6) 

All religions claim their own brand, but none claim unique. The unique Bible claims Jesus as Lord, and salvation through Him alone. And it’s not religion, but a personal relationship with God. That is unique. 

And, God, the One True, and Living God, calls His people to be unique. Unique in thought, practice, and speech. Unique in prayer and devotion. Unique in love for one another. Unique in forgiveness and gentleness and patience. Unique in service. Unique in compassion and kindness. Unique in worship and inclusion. Unique in living, loving, and giving. Unique in teaching, preaching, and discipleship. 

Being unique is being noticeable, but not just for noticeable sake; it’s for the sake of God our Creator and for man, His creation. Jesus said, “And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.” (John 12.32) That is unique. Jesus draws men to Himself so He can lead all men to God. Unique. 

As a child of God, I am called to be holy: to be unique. If it’s religion we want, it’s religion we’ll get. If it’s God we want, it’s relationship with Him, we’ll get. It’s unique.  

Father, as an emissary of Jesus Christ, may I spread the uniqueness of Jesus where I am, and in whatever I am doing. I am called to be unique because of my belief and trust in You. Make my life count! Amen

No comments: