Friday, May 12, 2017

Imitators

5/12/2017 

1 Thessalonians 1.6 You became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you welcomed the message in the midst of severe suffering with the joy given by the Holy Spirit. – St. Paul 

Imitation is as old as mankind – somebody always trying to be like somebody else. There is imitation in a good way, and imitation in less than noble ways as well. When Michael Jordan was in his prime with the Chicago Bulls, a whole advertising campaign revolved around the slogan: Be Like Mike 

When our son was in Basic Military Training for the US Air Force, each Sunday was called Cheesus Day because the recruits were allowed to go to the worship service of their choice, and afterwards were served grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch. ‘Cheesus’ had to do with grilled cheese, and Jesus. The three hours of Cheesus was a welcome relief from the TI’s demands and yelling. However, many chose Cheesus only as a way to escape the rigors of the training regimen awaiting them for the new week: I can choose what I’m not, to escape what I am 

Paul commended the Thessalonian Church for their imitation of him and his devotion to Christ – someone had to lead the way. And imitation now, is like it was then: follow the leader. Some do it with sincerity, and some with less than committed hearts. 

Imitation however, is important because God told His people: Be holy as I am holy. In other words, imitate Me! I think Paul wanted the Thessalonians to be devoted as he was devoted. I think he said: be like me. 

It is one thing to imitate, it is another to ask others to imitate you. Someone has to set the example. Someone has to lead. Imitation is doing what another does and thinking the way they think. It’s speaking the way they speak, and living the way they live. And imitation can lead to joy. 

Paul was not offering was clear skies and sunny days with warm breezes and nary a ripple on the pond. Paul said they imitated him, in the midst of severe suffering. Well, what kind of a deal is that!? You want me to be a believer, and all you’re offering me is a life of trouble and persecution – no thanks! Paul, however, pointed out the payoff: joy! 

It’s one thing just to suffer and another to suffer for the right reason. The right reason for suffering in life can be a source of joy, and that is what is offered: joy. Joy is knowing what I am doing is being done for the right reason, and that what I am doing, no matter how it feels, pleases God. The life of a believer often can, and will be, less than comfortable, but the payoff is joy: knowing what I am doing is for a purpose, and pleases the Almighty. 

Jesus, for the joy set before Him, endured the shame and humiliation of the cross. If He did it, can we? It’s what’s expected of us – a holy imitation of a holy Lord Who beckons us to join Him in redeeming the world. Wow! 

Father, today Your word stands: be holy as I am holy. It’s the calling upon my life and Lord, I want to imitate You. Help me to bless and encourage others in their imitation of You. Father, for the joy set before us, we endure knowing what we do is not in vain, but useful to help us in our pursuit of You – amen

No comments: