Monday, May 8, 2017

The Gaffe of the Calling

5/8/2017 

Matthew 25.12 “But he replied, ‘Truly I tell you, I don’t know you.’ – Jesus  

Matthew 25 has always given me pause. First, I think in a production mentality; that’s part of my problem, because the Kingdom of God is not about my production. It is about fruit, not the fruit I produce, but the fruit He grows in me. Second, Matthew 25 is all about respect and relationship. A great relationship with God is going to produce great fruit that will be for the benefit of others… 

In this parable, in which Jesus spoke about virgins, lamps, oil, and a bridegroom, the focus is readiness. It’s about prior planning preventing poor performance. And it’s also about distraction. It’s about not being focused on the simplest of tasks: being present in the moment. 

The virgins, of course, are invited participants. They were expected, and I ask myself, why? I get it the ancients did weddings their way, in their day. Of course, I’m wondering where does the bride fit in; but if there are ten virgins prior, who am I to question protocol? 

Where I get bogged down is why the five invited virgins, who left to get oil, are then disqualified for not being present when the bridegroom shows up? Hence: ‘Truly I tell you, I don’t know you.’ I’ve thought about this and I think it boils down to disrespect: one is to be present at the appointed time and if there is lag-time until the appointed time, one is to wait until the signal is given that the appointed time has arrived. Responsibility required the five foolish virgins to be ready when they were called upon; not after they’d gone to get lamp oil. Foolish virgins frequently fail.  

So, how does this apply to you and me? Well, for one, it has to do with: our calling and response. It has to do with: timing and preparedness. Further, it has to do with: being ready to go at a moment’s notice. Jesus said, you can’t be committed to putting your hand to the plow and then look back; ploughing always requires looking forward. (Luke 9.62) 

And, it has to do with respect for the calling. If one is to be there when the groom shows up and one is not, what does that say about one’s commitment to the main man? People count on us for all kinds of things and when/if we let them down, their counting-on-us account depletes. It seems the five oil-less virgins discounted their being present when they were supposed to be. Not taking enough oil to begin with might’ve been a good place to start.  

I think God, all-knowing and all, expects us to be present in the moment and ready in the moment when He expects us to be. He is looking to us to do the good work He’s prepared for us to do so that the body of Christ may be built up… If we don’t respond in a timely manner, He’ll find someone who will. 

The gaffe of the oil-less virgins was entirely preventable. Many of our gaffes are preventable. It requires proper prior planning, prayer, readiness, respect for the calling, and for the One who calls. The punishment for the foolish virgins was more than they anticipated, and had they known the risk, they might’ve brought enough oil to float a boat.

Lord, may I learn the importance of calling – wherever, whenever, and however it comes. And may I respect the calling in readiness, because it comes from You, along with every other good and perfect gift - amen

No comments: