Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Two Days

5/9/2017 

Matthew 26.2 “As you know, the Passover is two days away—and the Son of Man will be handed over to be crucified.” – Jesus

Passover would have commenced on Friday night at about 6pm and lasted until Saturday at the same time. So, this had to be on about Wednesday. Question: What do you do with two days? What do you do with that information for two days? 

On earth is the concept of time. I suppose the concept of time is also elsewhere in the Universe, but for us humans, our sphere of influence is consigned right here to the planet. Now then, time is a concept but it really isn’t real. We think it is, but it is only in our minds. Time is reinforced by our constructs of days and nights, and months and seasons; but time is relegated to the space between our ears. 

The trick with time is to live in the moment; the eternal now. It’s tricky to do because we’re so hard-wired to think that time is real, because we’ve affixed to it seconds, minutes, hours, and days. Our modern calendar is something we’ve made up. It works, except every four years we have to add a makeup day to it to make it work.  

Even Jesus dwelt in the realm of time, He said: “As you know, the Passover is two days away—and the Son of Man will be handed over to be crucified.” His men didn’t want to hear this – they thought they we on the cusp of a global takeover and the kingdom of Israel would emerge as the world power. But here their Messiah was. talking about His crucifixion, a horrible, evil, and undignified way to die. Only the worst of the worst got crucifixion. 

And for two days, that’s all they had to think about.  

In the other gospels, it’s recorded that their natural response was at first grief and dismay, but soon it turned to a coping mechanism of who would be the successor in the absence of Jesus: who among them was the greatest, and would usher in this great Jewish world kingdom overthrowing Rome and the Gentiles? Somebody had to do something – their Scriptures told them so. 

And Jesus said it was all two days away. 

What do we do with two days? I think a more important question is: what do we do with today? And even more important, what do we do with right now – it’s all we’ll ever have. Right now. 

I’m learning that God calls me to enjoy Him in the moment, right now. And as I move from this right now to the next, my enjoyment of His presence is to move with me from moment to moment. Jesus had to warn His men of what was coming, but, God calls me to dwell with Him, right now. Tomorrow will take care of itself, and today has enough troubles of its own. How do I live quietly and peacefully, right now? 

Father God, attune my heart to dwell forever in Your forever moment by moment, presence. I believe that is the key to a life well-lived. I know there will be things in my day that grab for my attention, but help me to focus on You, and to walk humbly with You today – moment by moment. The mastery of time is in my moments. May You and I enjoy them together this day – amen

No comments: