Saturday, May 27, 2017

Divine Friendship

5/27/2017 

Romans 8.3-4 3 For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh, 4 in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. – St. Paul 

An old song lyric goes:
Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign? (Five Man Electrical Band - Signs (1971)) 

As I read Romans 8 today, I thought about that song. And then I came up with the Romans 8 version:
Rule, rule, everywhere a rule
You must obey them all; man, you’re a fool
Do this, don’t do that, you gotta keep the rule! 

Of course, there’re are rules. Of course, there are laws. But rules and laws cannot be kept by everyone all the time. We’re too broken and sinful to keep the rules. And yet, there’s a part of us that insists we can. The above says: For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. God never meant for us to just follow the rules; He always meant for us to become His friends. 

I know I say that often, but it’s true: God desires to be our Friend. And He desires our friendship in return. Now, friendship with God is way beyond any human experience. And friendship with God is not tainted by human understanding. Friendship with God is fully holy, fully satisfying, and fully forever. We are God’s children and the greatest thing a child can ever become in the eyes of his parent, is a friend. 

Friendship extends courtesy and understanding never fully known in the parent/child relationship. A child needs continually to be stewarded and taught –a friend, however, seeks enhancement of another, coming alongside to enjoy, encourage, and serve. A friend always looks to protect and defend, but on the level of peer, not parent. Jesus said, Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. (John 15) He went on to say: You are my friends if you do what I command. (John 15.14); and then: Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. (John 15.15) 

Friendship is a big deal to God. The Lover of my soul, my Father and Friend. Parenthood is freed when a child becomes a friend. Childhood is freed when a parent becomes a friend. Our Divine Parent desires to become our Divine Friend. And in friendship, there is no place for rules, only mutual trust and respect – and love. What I could not do in keeping the rules and obeying the signs, God did for me in Christ, that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in [me], who [does] not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit… 

Father God, thank You for the pursuit of holiness that You have sought me (and billions other) to become your children, and friends. May I pursue life according to Your Spirit because the righteous requirements of the Law have been met in Jesus for my sake. May my life with You be friendship of mutual trust, respect, and love – amen

No comments: