Wednesday, May 31, 2017

The Benefit and Blessing

5/31/2017 

Romans 12.4-5 4 For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, 5 so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. – St. Paul 

One of the hardest things for us modern believers to do is to see ourselves as Paul saw the Body of Christ. Paul saw enormous value and responsibility for us to be together just as a human body only operates perfectly as each of its members (pieces, parts) operate in harmony and sync. I think the ancient church suffered from this malady as well; it’s the result of the fall. 

But just because there is the fall, and just because the ancient church suffered, doesn’t mean unity and working together can’t happen. There is enough giftedness in each church to accomplish great things because God is the God of the church and He has willed we work together as a human body does. 

Typically, we fail to see ourselves as God sees us. We tend to think the gifts are given willy-nilly and that they are interchangeable. Not so. Each person in the church is uniquely gifted to operate as God has foreordained they ought. The job of each individual believer to operate within their giftedness depends on the depth and strength of their personal relationship with God.  

When I get together with my church, I must see myself as God sees me in relationship to others present. My main focus is not what I can get out of the sermon, but how I can effectively operate within my gifts for the benefit and blessing of others. 

God is the giver of gifts and we are to cooperate with Him in His administration of those gifts. We must be careful not to set boundaries on how we operate – everything we do is to be done in the spirit of love and unity, and, cooperation. But, we must see each other as valuable and necessary. It all has to do with our personal relationship with God. 

Perhaps we could open up our worship services with a reminder of who we are and what we’re supposed to be and to do. Perhaps our declaration of Faith includes verbiage of what Paul called the Roman church to be and to do – in service and in love. I think we need constant reminders of who we are so we can do what we need to do for the sake of God and His church. 

At my church we have a kid’s ministry called, Royal Rangers, on Wednesday nights throughout the school year. At the beginning of each meeting we pledge allegiance to the American flag, the Christian flag, and we recite the Royal Ranger Pledge which goes:
With God’s help, I will do my best to serve God, my church, and my fellow man; to live by the Ranger Code; to make the Golden Rule, my daily Rule. 

It sets the tone for our gathering and helps everyone focus on the why we do what we do. I think it’s effective. What do we recite in adult church that helps us remember who we are in Christ and how we’re to operate with one another in love and in service? 

Glorious and Good God, work in me to use the gifts You’ve given me to be a blessing and benefit to others in Your Church. Help me to see myself as You see me, and to bless others accordingly. Thank You for Your Church and for those who make it up. May we work together as You have willed - Amen

No comments: