Sunday, May 1, 2011

God’s Choice – God’s Desire

5.1.2011

Psalm 132:13-14 13 For the Lord has chosen Zion, he has desired it for his dwelling: 14 “This is my resting place for ever and ever; here I will sit enthroned, for I have desired it…” NIV

What a psalm of magnificence! The truth here is that God desires to be in Zion – and what is in Zion? His people are in Zion. Even God’s enemies call His people Zionists – that says something.

When I think that God desires it kind of blows my fuses; it’s a thought that is way too big for me to comprehend. What do you give the God Who has everything? I used to struggle in trying to find the perfect gift for my dad – what do you give the dad who seemed to have everything? I think had I just asked him, my dad would’ve said, “Son, just spend some time with me…” In retrospect, I think that’s really what he wanted.

And so when I think about God’s desire – Zion, I think about what it is that our God really wants. (And just so we get it, He wants nothing – He is completely and eternally self-sufficient; He has no needs; nothing can be added to Him.) But what God really wants is me, and you and anyone else who will in their lives find a place for the Lord, a dwelling for the Mighty One of Jacob. (Psalm 132.5) God repeatedly says in His word that He will be our God and we will be His people and He will dwell among us. He says repeatedly, that He will write His laws on tablets of flesh (our hearts) and will be with us. Jesus said, I will be with you and I will be in you… (Cf. John, chapters, 13-17). We are God’s desire!

David looked for a place to put the Ark and it had to be in the midst of the people of God – it was a picture of what God Himself intended – to be among those who love Him and enjoy being around Him… forever!

Father in Heaven,
Your desire – oh, how I am humbled reading this today. I think about how lousy I am at times and what a cesspool my soul is and yet, You desire to dwell there and somehow bring about change I can never do on my own. Thank You God! Thank You that in faith today, and even with a dirty rearview mirror, I can say, I am Your desire – such words make me tremble – amen.

No comments: