Sunday, May 8, 2011

Where is My I

5.8.2011

2 Samuel 16:10 10 “...If he is cursing because the Lord said to him, ‘Curse David,’ who can ask, ‘Why do you do this?’” NIV

If you take away all else, David was a man of faith. David’s life was so disciplined in God that he really did understand his relationship with God. To be sure, David made his mistakes and those mistakes cost him dearly – but he also learned from his mistakes and those lessons paid him richly.

In 2 Samuel 16.5-14 the scene is David and his family, officials, and friends are fleeing on foot from the coup staged by Absalom. As they approach a town called Bahurim, a man named Shimei met David and called down curses on him. Not only did he call down curses, but he threw rocks and dirt at the king; Shimei was one angry dude. Not everyone in your congregation is going to love you… Shimei’s anger, rage, and actions lasted for several miles and the Scripture says, “The king and all the people with him arrived at their destination exhausted.” (2 Sa 16:14) Shimei’s actions were emotionally brutal.

One of David’s generals offered to kill Shimei on the spot but David, in faith, said, “...If he is cursing because the Lord said to him, ‘Curse David,’ who can ask, ‘Why do you do this?’” That took great faith. David was a man of great faith, integrity, and skill; and it was all because of his relationship to God.

Look at the letter “i” and consider all of its implications and potential. “I” has been responsible for more trouble in my life than I care to admit. “I” is often my worst enemy – worse than people; worse than the devil himself. Not only has “I” been responsible, but “I” has caused so much evil in my life. And in order to control “I” like David, my “I” must find its place, “in Him”. Notice the placement of the letter “i” in “Him”. “I” only finds its true strength, meaning and purpose in “Him”. And when “I” gets to the point where it says by faith, ‘I am in You’; then “I” is transformed because there is no “I” in “You”. David’s “I” kept getting him in trouble but by fa-i-th in H-i-m, David’s “I” was controlled, and God’s purposes were served for the nation.

Today friends, let’s look at our lives and ask, “Where is my ‘I’?” If our “I” is causing trouble, maybe it isn’t in Him…maybe it needs to be. I is only safe in fa-i-th where it is transformed from in H-i-m to in You.

Father in Heaven,
May we only find our “I” transformed in You – amen.

No comments: