Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Power of God

4.30.2011

Psalm 68:35 35 You are awesome, O God, in your sanctuary; the God of Israel gives power and strength to his people. NIV

It takes courage, determination, faith and the Spirit of God to walk with the Lord. God indeed gives power and strength to His people but if it is only power and strength to overcome others, then what good is that? But if it is power and strength to walk humbly with Him, to see Him correctly, and to keep oneself unspotted from sin, then there is great worth in such power and strength.

David told his wife Michal, “….I will be humiliated in my own eyes.” (2 Samuel 6.22) In other words, “I will see myself correctly because I know my God sees me correctly; and if you can accept it, I see God correctly.” Michal didn’t get it. David told the men who’d defected to him at Ziklag to support his cause, “But if you have come to betray me to my enemies when my hands are free from violence, may the God of our fathers see it and judge you.” (1 Ch 12:17) In other words, “Be sure you know what you’re doing because even though I may not, God sees you, and looks at your hearts and motives.”

God gives power and strength for us to hang on and to keep on believing. God gives power and strength when we are weak and suffering from all kinds of issues – within and without – because His power is made perfect in our weakness. God gives power and strength because the weapons of our warfare are not the power to control others, they’re the power to control ourselves; they look a lot like fruit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

The God of Israel gives power and strength to his people – will we accept it? Will we use it?

Today, I must know again that God expects me to see myself correctly because He sees me – and I must see Him correctly. Today, I must know that God will indeed give me power and strength to walk humbly by His side and to depend on Him. The power I ask Him for is not to control others, for in me that will only lead to evil. The power and strength I look for from God is that power which sustains me in faithfulness; manifesting itself in my view of God, my view of sin, and the ability to walk humbly by His side.

Thank You God!

No comments: