Monday, May 30, 2011

What God Never Does

5.30.2011

Romans 11:28-29 28 As far as the gospel is concerned, they are enemies on your account; but as far as election is concerned, they are loved on account of the patriarchs, 29 for God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable. NIV

A friend of mine pointed out that not once in his speech last week to congress did Binyamin Netanyahu make any mention of God; why would he – he thinks Israel’s problems are solved politically or if necessary, militarily. It doesn’t surprise me; the answer to Israel’s problems is faith in God and belief in the promises He gave to the ancients who believed Him; and it was credited to them as righteousness; it always has been – God’s gifts and call are irrevocable. As men we are to acknowledge the supreme place of God in all of our living together on this planet. But men don’t, and men suffer the consequences of such a posture.

With all of their own issues and mistakes God has always loved the patriarchs who were ordinary men of extraordinary faith – they not only believed in God, they believed God. And their descendants have always been loved by God who through their ancestors, called them to believe as well. When God said to Abraham, “Look up at the heavens and count the stars—if indeed you can count them.” … “So shall your offspring be.” (Genesis 5.15 NIV) He wasn’t kidding – He meant every word He said. When God said, they will be My people, and I will be their God (Genesis 17:8; Jeremiah 24:7, 31:33, 32:38; Ezekiel 11:20, 14:11, 37:23, 37:27; 2 Corinthians 6:16; Hebrews 8:10) He meant it and never looked back. God never says one thing and does another.

I may have failed God, but He has never failed me. I may have started out one direction and wound up on another but that never happens to God who is able to work His will in my ways before I ever start out on them! God’s call and gifts are irrevocable. It that’s the case then I must never take it for granted but must live each day in holy response to what He’s asked me to do and use what He’s chosen to give me to do it.

Today, the only day I have, is a day to live in holy response to the One who loves me and calls me; and gives Himself to me that I may in Him, through Him, and by Him accomplish His will for my life.

Father in Heaven,
You are the One who calls and because of Your love for people, You are the One who enables Your servants to do as You call. Help me this day to live in holy response to Your will and to remember what You’ve called me to do and the gifts You’ve given that I may do it – in Jesus, amen.

No comments: