Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Consequence of Absence

5.14.2011

1 Thessalonians 3:4-5(a) 5(a) For this reason, when I could stand it no longer, I sent to find out about your faith. NIV

This has always been, to me, an endearingly odd statement by Paul, “…when I could stand it no longer…” Really Paul, it was that bad? Well, it was to him. But I don’t think Paul was blowing smoke – I think he genuinely cared about these people and was concerned about their spiritual health – and he was far, far away. I really haven’t seen that kind of response too often in the modern church; spiritual fathers these days are seemingly absent.

It’s often hard for me to let go of my preconceived notions about Paul – but one thing was for sure, he was very human and susceptible to the things that plague the rest of us. As yet, there has still only been One who walked in perfect unity and submission to the Holy Spirit… and Paul wasn’t Him. I think Paul worried. I think he wished he could be in about ten places at once. I think he tired of being the ‘only one’ with such passion and zeal for the Gospel – after all, he was the only one who’d had his butt kicked on the Damascus Road… But I think he suffered concerning himself for the welfare of these churches he’d planted.

So when Mr. Worry-wart could stand it no longer, he made the decision to get somebody to go check in on these folks! And subsequently his fears were allayed and he rejoiced that the Gospel had taken in the hearts of these who were far, far away from his leadership and influence.

Today in our history is the day of the absent father – many families are victims of divorce and/or slaves to the American Dream. Dad has either tired of his caged life in the family and left; or he’s absconded to the office, the career or the mission; abdicating to whatever he’s deemed worthy of his time or interest.

Spiritual fathers are rare as well. Time seems to be the precious resource that we are reluctant to release. I am both humored and stung by the words of the apostle who could stand it no longer; humored that he was so human – and stung that I am often so absent.

Father in Heaven,
You know that it is mostly my lack of understanding of what I claim as my priorities. Help me to be present and to see past my worrying about things that have no real consequence other than to steal my attention and thereby become the real consequence of absence. Amen.

No comments: