Friday, May 6, 2011

I Am The Man


5.6.2011

2 Samuel 12.7(a) 7(a) Then Nathan said to David, “You are the man! NIV

Busted was what he was – David was plain old busted. And he was as guilty as sin. Nathan indicted him and spoke judgment over David’s life and household. The difference between David and the likes of Eli, Saul and others in Scripture who were also busted was that David accepted the Lord’s rebuke and repented with a broken heart. He should’ve been stoned for adultery and for murder – but kings do what kings do, and though he thought he got away with murder, God caught him, and he paid dearly for his sins… but not without repenting.

David did some remarkable things for the nation but he also did some very stupid things. The good news is David ultimately learned his lessons. The bad things in his life that were stunting the good things were driven out of David by what happened next in his life. And he suffered but he came out at the end changed. David, like most of the rest of us, learned life the hard way.

It would be nice if we could learn without pain, suffering, embarrassment and humiliation, but these things help break the hold stupidity has on our lives. I wonder if God sometimes says, “How could they be so stupid!?” If He does, He is also quick to say, “I love them and will help them – they need My discipline!” Pain, suffering, embarrassment, and humiliation bring about repentance, healing, wellness, and humility; and these are necessary ingredients to living a healthy life.

I hate being wrong, but I hate worse having something ugly between me and another. I hate being stupid, but I hate worse being the cause of someone else’s pain. Far too often, I am the man. But with God’s help, love, and discipline I will become His tool and His servant to usher in His goodness in situations where others have discovered that they are the man.

Father in Heaven,
I have been the man so many times it’s pathetic. I pray for grace to learn my lessons and to live more on the side of doing good than on the side of being stupid. Help me to love, learn and live for the benefit of others and the furtherance of Your Kingdom. Have Your way in my life I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: