Saturday, May 28, 2011

Finding Life

5.28.2011

Proverbs 8:35 35 For whoever finds me [Wisdom] finds life and receives favor from the Lord. NIV

Tacked up on the wall of my garage is a piece of paper with the following words printed on it: Many are the plans in a man’s heart; but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails. (Proverbs 19.21) If the plans of a man’s heart don’t include looking for and finding wisdom, then no matter what he plans, it’s going to fail; or certainly have less than desirable results.

My life has to this point has been a series of one foolish endeavor after another punctuated by brief moments of sanity. As a young man, I planned to be married – check. I planned to have a career in the military – unchecked, medical issues. I planned not to have children – unchecked, we have four. I planned to live a structured, neat, well-organized life – unchecked, life got in the way. I planned to live pain-free – unchecked, life got in the way. You can see where I’ going, I had plans.

My problem is, I never checked in with the Lord. I planned to be a good man; I just never planned to be a righteous man. Good was good enough for me – that was my plan. I planned to do all of this in my own strength and knowledge not realizing there was a key component I was overlooking: wisdom. I planned to live life, I just never planned to find life. I also never planned to find favor from the Lord – I figured I’d pretty much leave Him alone if He left me alone. How unwise can you get?

Wisdom requires that we think about life with all of it’s ups and downs and consistent inconsistencies. Wisdom requires that we study a matter to see whether or not we ought to proceed. Wisdom requires that we seek the Lord in all matters pertaining to life and godliness and wait for Him to reveal His purpose and show us the way to go. With the Lord and His wisdom, we find life and favor.

Today, I am faced with yet another plan that has back-fired on me. I chose a path without seeking the Lord and now have to decide how to proceed. So, I’ll pray, and think, and seek Him to see what to do and where to go – and how to go. Today is one more opportunity to let the Lord’s purposes take precedence over mine and in doing so to find life and favor from Him…

Father God, You know where I am and know what I’ve done and I submit to Your purpose that always prevails and will look for Your life, favor and wisdom to see this thing through – amen.

No comments: