Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Insistence

5.10.2011

2 Samuel 18:13 13 And if I had put my life in jeopardy—and nothing is hidden from the king—you would have kept your distance from me.” NIV

David had told his men as they marched out to encounter Absalom and his forces, “Be gentle with the young man Absalom for my sake.” (2 Samuel 18:5) It’s hard for me to imagine the emotional struggle David was in the midst of; I assume he thought most of the goings on was his fault.

Joab on the other hand was a guy who seemed to well understand the ways of the world – you mess with the king and you die. Absalom, in Joab’s eyes, was just another threat to the crown – he had to be dealt with. But David saw where this whole mess got started: with himself and in his disobedience to God.

The soldier under Joab, (Cf. 2 Samuel 18. 9-13) knew better – he knew what David had said and was going to honor the king’s request. Joab on the other hand was going to do what he thought David should’ve done all along – kill Absalom. The soldier knew his commander well, but insisted on honoring his king.

Sometimes we make up our minds that we are going to do as we are going to do. Sometimes rather than forgive we go for revenge; sometimes rather than mercy, all we can see is wrath. I know David knew it was all his fault; but there was a part of him that insisted the whole matter come to a peaceful end. David followed that insistence; Joab insisted on the traditions of men.

It’s hard in the heat of the moment to remember the insistence to do what is right. It’s hard sometimes to err on the side of grace. It’s a real wrestling match to grapple revenge to the ground and prevail over it… but it must be done because that’s what we are called to. When it is our fault grace and godliness must prevail. When it is someone else’s fault grace and mercy must prevail; we represent a King who never fails…to do what is right; and as His subjects we must do for the King what the King would do.

Father in Heaven,
This day Lord, I saw in Your word that Jesus willingly put aside His desires to defend Himself, and for my sake, offered Himself to be the substitutionary Sacrifice for my sin. He did the right thing before You. It took great strength and great faith for Jesus to do what He did. I only ask the same as I deal in the world for great grace to honor Your word no matter whose fault it is, and to do what is right. Help me God, I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: