Thursday, May 12, 2011

Evidence of God

5.12.2011

1 Thessalonians 1:3 3 We continually remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ. NIV

It seems there are three elements to the Christian’s ministry: work, or ministry, produced by faith; the effort put into it, prompted by love; and patience, or steadfastness in the work is inspired by hope in Jesus Christ.

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. (Heb 11:1) So in faith I minister or work before the Lord even though I don’t get to see the big picture. I believe in the big picture, I just can’t see it – I don’t have the capacity for that kind of view. But by faith I am certain of its impact.

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. (1 Co 13:1-3). Love is the oil; love is the life-blood. Without love, there is selfishness, pride, and arrogance – without love it’s all about me.

And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us. (Ro 5:2-5) The hope we have in Jesus Christ is the fuel that keeps our hearts unshakeable for His Cause, His Name, His throne, and His Kingdom.

Paul thanked this church for their faith, hope and love, and they became an example for the churches in their region and beyond. My goal, is not to be exemplary but to operate in faith, hope, and love and let my actions speak for themselves… Only in Christ will people see in me the evidence of God.

Father in Heaven,
Your way is the only way to do what You inspire and to live as You require. I pray that You strengthen these things in me, so that others may know it’s the evidence of Your presence they see. In Jesus, amen.

No comments: