Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Evidence

5.17.2011

2 Thessalonians 1:5 5 All this is evidence that God’s judgment is right, and as a result you will be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which you are suffering. NIV

In Paul’s first letter to the Thessalonians, he stated, “We always thank God for all of you…” In his second letter he says, “We ought always to thank God for you…” A subtle difference perhaps, but a big one.  Their lives had changed. What they had gone through and were going through, Paul said, was evidence that God’s judgment was right in His choosing them to be one of His churches, and that they would be counted worthy of His Kingdom for which they were suffering.

In his first letter, Paul’s encouragement to them was that he prayed for them regularly because they were persevering; in a sense it was his partnering with them. In his second letter, he was affirming that their perseverance was paying off in their maturity in the faith with God’s affection. At this point he was saying their lives were worthy before God and worthy of His inheritance. And this was all evidence of who God was to them and in them. Their faith was unshakable.

Unshakable faith is a gift from God. Life with God can be very difficult because of the unbelieving hearts of men and the wiles of the devil. But to the one who takes the time first, to get to know the miracle of God, and second to understand the magnitude of the enmity against His presence, then to that one it soon becomes evident that life with God, despite all the opposition, is a no-brainer – why settle for that when I can have this!

I want the evidence to be visible – not to me – but to others who look at my life. The presence of God leads to an unshakable faith that is both repugnant to the world, and encouragement to the saints. As Josh McDowell said, evidence demands a verdict.

Wherever you are in your faith-walk today, remember to look for evidence in others, because where you find it, you’ll find God. And the God who gives faith to someone else, will also give faith to you…

Father in Heaven,
As Teresa prayed, “DEAR JESUS, help me to spread Thy fragrance everywhere I go. Flood my soul with Thy spirit and love. Penetrate and possess my whole being so utterly that all my life may only be a radiance of Thine. Shine through me and be so in me that every soul I come in contact with may feel Thy presence in my soul. Let them look up and see no longer me but only [Thee]. Stay with me and then I shall begin to shine as you shine, so to shine as to be a light to others.” Amen

No comments: